What’s in a Workshop?
Robotics Classes for Kids
Robotics classes for kids are a perfect way to snap together entertainment and education and here at Robot City Workshop we offer classes for the beginner, the intermediate and the advanced.
The suggested age for starting classes with RCW is five years old. However, our youngest student was a bright, attentive four year old. Starting with Robot City Workshop at such a young age can fuel a child’s interest towards engineering, mechanics, programming and more.
Beginning students come back for more advanced levels and eventually move up to intermediate classes.
Let’s take a look a look at the different levels offered in each.
Robot Building for Beginners
Our beginner classes are suggested for ages 5 to 10 and include over a dozen robots from which your children can choose. Take a look at some of the more popular robots for beginners:
- RoboXplorer – easy to assemble, light up eyes and crazy locomotion, perfect for the level 1 beginners
- Doodling robot – student use a screwdriver, screws, nuts and bolts to assemble, two modes, battles and draws
- Line tracking robot – excellent choice for returning beginners, uses multiple photo sensors to track lines, create your own track
Beginner workshops (including levels 1, 2 and 3) are one hour in length. Students for levels 1 and 2 get cool, memorable lessons in gears and circuits prior to building.
Building Better Robots
Once hands and minds get a little bigger students are ready for intermediate level builds. These classes are suggested for ages 9 to 13 but some eight year old students have done well in level 1 classes.
These classes focused on developing more specific dexterity and involves robots with smaller and more numerous parts. Some of the more frequently selected builds include the following:
- Hyper Peppy robot – a robot that will respond to sound and change its path quickly
- Mechanical Ostrich robot – one of the many option from Tamiya, an excellent manufacturer of DIY kits
- Robotic Arm Edge – a favorite among kids and adults alike, this robot arm takes three hours to build to completion
Intermediate workshops level 1 and level 2 run two hours in length. The level 3 workshop featured the Robotic Arm Edge and is devoted entirely to the build.
Advanced Robotic Classes
Numerous builds later young minds are ready for more challenging aspects of robotics. We offer one advanced class centering on soldering and electronics and two courses on programming with arduino microcontrollers.
Advanced level workshops are recommended for ages 13 and up.
Still Not Finding A Robot Class for You?
Our location occasionally offers special discounted group workshops for young minds interested in getting their hands on new builds and fun robot-related activities. Keep your eye out for announcements!
Summer camp 2014, Nuts for Robots continues throughout Summer 2014 and there are sure to be some special discounted group workshops during those weeks when camp is not in session.
Come right back here for more robot news and as always have fun building!